Liposuction What It Is, Cost, Benefits, Risks, Recovery And Much More
- More Detail Here:
- Non Surgical Nose Job
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is also known as liposculpture, lipoplasty, lipectomy, or simply lipo is a type of esthetic/cosmetic surgery. In Liposuction the fat from almost any part of the body like thighs, abdomen, triceps and buttocks etc. is reduced.
Liposuction is one of the most in demand cosmetic surgery in the world today. Liposuction is extremely effective, low at risk and provides number of benefits and is is quite popular too. If you are still reluctant, here are eight reasons for to minimize your confusion.
- Liposuction is a process in which the body is reshaped by removing fats from that particular part of the body.
- Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity or a weight loss program/method. Neither is it a substitute to exercise and dieting. In this aesthetic process the patient wishes to change and enhance the contour of their body.
- Liposuction does not remove cellulite. Cellulite is an accumulation of fat under the skin that gives it a dimpled appearance. Contrary to what some people believe, liposuction cannot target fat from all over the body, nor will it be able to remove cellulite and stretch marks.
- Liposuction permanently removes fat cells, and the amount of fat that can be safely removed is limited. After the liposuction, the patient needs to lead a healthy lifestyle, or else some fat re-deposition may occur. Fat cells that are removed by liposuction do not grow back.
- Liposuction has been very popular and effective for the past 30-40 years.
- Getting rid of stubborn fat deposits around the midriff, love handles and saddlebags, underarms and many other such areas is a tedious and tiring process.
- Dieting and exercising also fall short quite often to achieve desired results, due to which many people opt for liposuction to get the body they desire.
- Liposuction is safe and effective and has helped people achieve a better body shape and boost self confidence.
- Generally combined with abdominoplasty and breast augmentation liposuction is the optimal solution for body contouring.
Treatable Areas Of Body
Liposuction is most effective when used to reshape the contour of the body by eliminating the accumulated fat in a specific area.
Liposuction is not a weight loss program or method.
- Liposuction of the Abdomen:
Liposuction is extremely efficient solution for contouring of the abdomen.The lower abdomen particularly is very stubborn to get in shape, even with high intensity workout and strict diets.The abdominal fat collected underneath the skin can be easily removed through liposuction. But the fat which is accumulated around the liver, intestines and other organs deep within the abdomen cannot be removed by liposuction.Abdominal liposuction gives good results when combined with tummy tuck procedure.
- Liposuction of the Flanks:
Male flanks also called love handles are located on the side and back above the belt line.The flank gland is located laterally on each side of the abdomen. Liposuction reduces the stored fats at the flanks and can vastly improve its appearance. Female flanks are located on the side and the back under the bra line. Liposuction cannot function on a patient who is on general anesthesia it should be performed on local anesthesia to avoid the the movement which can suspend the placement of the breathing tube when the patient rolls over for the surgeon to access the back. Liposuction can also be performed with a body lift.
- Liposuction of the Thighs:
Liposuction of the entire thigh is not advisable as it may result in swelling and consequently prolonged recovery time. Hence, it is highly recommended to perform liposuction on thighs in a series of surgeries with the intervals of at least a month. By following this procedure it allows the lymphatic tissues to drain excess fluids quickly and evenly throughout the thigh, which gives good results in minimal time. Liposuction of the thighs can also be performed with thigh lift surgery.
- Liposuction of the Buttocks:
It is extremely important to know about liposuction of buttocks that shaping of the buttocks is more necessary than reducing its size. The buttocks may appear lumpy, asymmetrical or saggy if the fatty tissues are removed in excess. The buttocks are an integral part of the over bodys artistic look. It is generally recommended that the surgeon should follow a approach of liposuction with grace. The surgeon should always use a micro-cannula with a max of three millimeters in diameter.
- Liposuction of the Arms:
Liposuction of the arms has a tremendous result of customer satisfaction. Post this treatment the arms appears quite slim and give the entire a body a molded look. Liposuction of the arms can be performed with arm lift surgery.
- Liposuction of the Breasts
Enlarged breast can have many adverse effect on the body such as back pain, neck pain, headaches, poor self-esteem. as compared to other breast reduction surgery liposuction is most effective and less invasive method. Liposuction has also considered to have a natural lifting effect on the breast due to the less volume weighing it down.
- Face, Neck, and Chin Liposuction:
Facial liposuction can give patients a experience of looking young and attractive by eliminating the fat deposits on the facial areas such as chin,jowls and neck. It is usually performed with micro -cannula using a tumescent technique. Liposuction of face is more recommended over other surgical techniques for chin, neck and jowls as it has less scarring effect then the other facial treatments.To minimize the appearance of sagging skin in the neck, a double-chin, or hanging jowls facial liposuction is usually performed below the chin and jawline.
Who Needs It?/ Candidature For Liposuction
Who is the best candidate for LIPOSUCTION?
- You are ideal candidate for Liposuction if you have
- Fat which is within 30-40% of optimum weight
- Firm elastic skin
- Pockets of stubborn excess fat
- Desire permanent improvement in body contour
- Liposuction is done under general or local anesthesia through small keyhole incision in concealed areas to ensure virtually scar less post operative result
Eligibility to undergo a LIPOSUCTION:
- Any of the above mentioned reasons makes you a suitable candidate to undergo LIPOSUCTION, But to be an eligible candidate for surgery you should also fulfill the following criteria:
- Every surgical procedure including plastic or cosmetic surgery involves certain risks. You should undergo a LIPOSUCTION only if you have a medical requirement or you feel that the particular surgery will enhance your quality of life.
- You shall be a good candidate for the LIPOSUCTION if you are healthy, you have realistic expectations from the outcome of the surgery and you are aware of all the risks associated with the procedure.
- You cannot consider undergoing a cosmetic surgery if you have serious health issues like diabetes, heart diseases, high blood pressure, bleeding disorders like haemophilia or depression.
- You shall not be a good candidate for the LIPOSUCTION if you smoke or drink too much alcohol.
- You should have positive attitude!
- You expectations from the outcome of the surgery should be realistic.
- You should be ready to miss at least a few weeks of normal activity.
Benefits Of Liposuction
Ageing is a natural process which everyone goes through. Visible wrinkles, fine lines, blemishes are signs of ageing. Such skin flaws makes you look tired or aged. But with LIPOSUCTION like suitable treatment one feels younger, healthier and rejuvenated.
Nowadays LIPOSUCTION is gaining immense popularity because it produce results that blend extremely well with a patient’s body. Soon after the surgery, one gets back to the desired or normal shape of a treated body part. One does not have to wait long to see the result, which is the beauty of cosmetic surgery.
IMPROVED PHYSICAL HEALTH:
Some cosmetic surgery procedures have double advantage; it will improve physical health as well as your looks.
For example, a rhinoplasty or nose job enhances the aesthetics of the nose and at the same time helps improve breathing and can potentially reduce sinus infections.
Liposuction which is very popular nowadays has benefits for not only improving aesthetic appearance but also eliminates any physical and emotional discomfort which come along with it.
Liposuction is a process in which the body is reshaped by removing fats from that particular part of the body, and it typically targets problem areas that do not respond well to diet and exercise.
Patients seeking body contouring find it is easier to keep the weight down after lipoplasty. The positive results of liposuction can influence the patient to maintain a healthy diet and exercise program to keep their weight in check.
Appropriate weight control can lead to a healthier body and reduced risks associated with obesity and excessive weight gain.
INCREASED CONFIDENCE AND ENHANCED MENTAL HEALTH:
Self Confidence is a tool that helps us face challenges and tackle problems in life, with great certainty. When you look good, you feel good which in turn increases your self confidence. It leads to greater willingness to try new things or open up in social situations. You become more willing and open to wearing certain clothes or participating in activities which you avoided prior to surgery, due to discomfort in your appearance.
Certain clinicians and psychologists feel, few corrections in your body parts, by cosmetic surgery can not only lead to emotional wellness but also enhanced mental health.
Studies do suggest that people that are more attractive benefit in their personal as well as professional lives.
Studies have also found, good looking people have a higher probability of getting promotions and making more salary.
A 2012 study published in Applied Financial Economics revealed that good looking real estate agents were able to sell properties at a higher price than agents that were average looking.
Liposuction Surgery Procedure
Prior to Liposuction the patient is given local or general anesthesia followed by creating incision in the treatment areas of the body, the surgeon then inserts cannulas through which the fat cells will be sucked out.
In traditional liposuction the cosmetic surgeon manually loosen the fats cells. Whereas in laser assisted and ultrasound assisted liposuction the fats cells are liquified using a laser beam or sound waves by the doctor.
After the procedure one get to see immediate and optimal results that improve as it heals.
Liposuction surgery may seem very simple but the process is quite complex one. All the process and the procedure of liposuction will be explained in detail by a skilled physician. Depending on the type of liposuction surgery and the area of treatment its procedure varies significantly. However all the procedure follow the same action as followed:
- Anesthesia :
Anesthesia means ‘without pain’ in other words it has a numbing effect to the part of the body. Liposuction can be done in both local and general anesthesia. In local anesthesia the doctor with numb the part of the body which is going to be treated, and you will be conscious through the surgery. General anesthesia will put you to sleep and you will be completely unconscious during the surgery. Once you are awake you will be in little or no pain near the area of the body which has been operated. Local anesthesia is given by injection and general anesthesia is given by a gas or injection. During the consultation the doctor will assist you to choose the right option.
- Creating the Incisions
After anesthesia step and injecting fluids, in some cases the next step is to make tiny incisions in the area of the body where the fats deposits are sucked out. The incisions are very small say few millimeters.
- Fat Removal
In this step the surgeon suck out the fat by a vacuum tube called cannula. The cannula will be inserted deeper into the fat layer through the incisions. The fat cells are then broken by moving the cannula back and forth using a attached syringe or vacuum pump which sucks out the fat. However along with the fat a large amount of blood and other body fluids are taken off, hence sufficient amount of fluid replacement is provided during and post liposuction process. However this part of the process may vary with respect to the type of liposuction is selected.
- Closing the Incisions
The incisions can either be closed with few stitches or left upon depending upon physicians choice. Some doctors suggest to keep the incisions open to decrease the amount of swelling or bruising that can occur post liposuction.Liposuction is a safe, effective and time tested solution for people who are concerned with the looks and their artistic appearance. When operated accurately by skilled surgeon it can give optimal results and boost once confidence.
- The potential for complications while performing surgery persist, just as for any other operation.
- Pain is probably the most significant drawback of plastic surgery, and recovery times can be as long as six months in a few cases.
- Some individuals may be at risk of severe reactions to anaesthesia or may develop health problems such as bleeding as a result of their surgery.
- You need to discuss with Doctor regarding risks involved in the procedure.
Severe side effects:
Any surgical procedures carries a certain amount of risk, which may include excessive swelling, bruising or bleeding , wound becomes infected, delayed healing of wounds, numbness, breathing difficulties, unfavourable scarring, extrusion of implants or sutures, pain, and the need for revision of the surgery.
Worsened Self Image:
Cosmetic surgery is not necessarily a purely aesthetic choice few choose it out of low self esteem and depression. If this is the true intention behind the surgery, than you will most probably never feel better after surgery because the underlying problems will still be unresolved.
All in all, however, if complications are few and the benefits far outweigh the risks then Cosmetic Surgery is a procedure that can change your life for the better.
Preparing For Liposuction Surgery
If you are considering LIPOSUCTION, it is important to take the time to determine why you want the surgery in the first place. If you have a medical need, or if you truly feel that this treatment will improve your quality of life, then you are a good candidate if you meet the aforementioned criteria.
Although having a LIPOSUCTION is common for celebrities and those who work in the limelight, certain life circumstances can force you to go under the knife. Here are some medically-necessary reasons that require you to have LIPOSUCTION.
- The most appropriate way to consider your competency for any kind of cosmetic treatment is to schedule an appointment with a proficient doctor.
- During the first encounter the doctor will try to understand why you feel the need to have a treatment and also what are your expectations from the outcome of the same
- The physician will evaluate your medical history; inquire about your current medication and medical condition. Physician should also be aware of everything you take, including vitamin supplements or herbal products since they might interfere with other medicines used during treatment. The surgeon might ask you to perform blood tests and a few general lab tests to monitor your current health status.
- The doctor will perform a physical exam, to have a close look at the skin, associated muscles and bones, their quality and the kind of changes that can be made. doctor might also suggest an additional surgery which will enhance or compliment your look,
- and last but not the least; the physician will assess your mental fitness to check whether you are ready to undergo the treatment.
- Recovery is basically the time required to get back to a relatively normal routine.
- Patients who wish to undergo LIPOSUCTION must plan for time off to heal and to be comfortable being seen in public.
- The healing time can vary from person to person and will also depend on the type of surgery to be performed.
- It can take up to two three weeks to return to work and perform everyday activities. After consulting with the doctor, People can utilise this time to go on a vacation or nurture themselves.
- Sometimes the LIPOSUCTION doesn’t produce the results the patient imagines. This gap between imagination and reality may frustrate patient.
- Expecting unrealistic results, like the surgery will make you look like a Hollywood or Bollywood star and automatically solve all of your problems, can be a significant drawback to having cosmetic procedures.
- To have a better experience, it is extremely important to consult a qualified doctor before planning the surgery and develop a rational idea of what the end result will look like.
After Effects Of Surgery
There are chances of having mild to moderate pain and discomfort post surgery. The pain can be easily regulated with oral medications.The distress and pain should reduce within 72 hours after surgery. A reasonable increase in pain post 72 hours should prompt you to contact the doctor.
Swelling can differ from patient to patient. It might increase during first three to four days before subsiding.Things that can be done to reduce swelling include keeping the head elevated as much as possible; avoid bending over or lifting heavy objects.Prolonged sun exposure should also be avoided for the initial two to three months.
Most bruising and discoloration resolve within the first two to three weeks. Make up can be applied to cover up the discolouration when been seen in public.
The body part that undergoes the surgery can be numb for few days. The feeling of numbness is normal and shall reduce over upcoming weeks. Unusual sensations and moderate discomfort can persist while the nerves are regenerating over time.
Sometimes bleeding can occur, post surgery. You can lie down with your head elevated but if the bleeding still persists at this point, it would be advisable to consult your doctor.
It is perfectly alright for patients to go through a period of mild depression after the cosmetic surgery as after some days or weeks which depends on surgery, patients generally becomes anxious and expects the results when swelling and bruising still persists. But the patient should realize that it is a temporary condition and things are bound to improve over a period of time.
Post Surgery Do’s And Don’ts
Ask your doctor for better and suitable guidelines. Following are the general instructions which should help you get the best results from your surgery.
Post Surgery do’s and don’ts:
- No vigorous exercise, contact sports and running for minimum of two weeks.
- No lifting heavy objects for at least 3 weeks.
- Avoid pullover clothing for two weeks especially if you have undergone a face surgery.
- Bypass hard chewing foods for a few days.
- No swimming for at least two weeks after surgery.
- Prefer using a mild soap and shampoo while taking a shower.
- It is essential to maintain the tape and cover on the surgery to keep it dry. Once the doctor advises to remove the tape you can to gently wash your surgery area twice a day to help reduce oiliness.
- You should be prompt enough to contact the doctor immediately, for any signs of bleeding that persist for more than ten minutes, infections, redness, swelling, fever, pain etc.
Exercising After Liposuction
After cosmetic surgery many patients asks about post surgery exercise or when can they resume their gym activity. Patients needs to understand that, its extremely crucial to give enough time for proper healing of your body, for eg strain on muscles, excessive sweating, stretching of the skin etc. can delay the recovery.
You need to consult your doctor about
- How soon you can start exercising?
- What type of exercise?
- How much time?
Don’t start exercise without asking your doctor and follow guidelines given by your doctor as for complete healing, the body needs time, and you need enough energy level for your routine and gym.
Seek Medical Help
IF YOU NOTICE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Development of a temperature elevation exceeding 100 degrees.
- An unusual amount of bleeding from the surgery area
- Significant reinjury of the surgery area
- A significant increase in pain even after taking your prescribed medication